Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mad Scientist Salad for Brunch

 I know I have been straying from my Blog's train of thought lately, but oh well you will thank me later for this one. Besides, who wouldn‘t want to read the awesome information I am about to share with you! :)


 I enjoy baking, cooking, and whatever else you can create in the kitchen. I remember when I was about seven years old I was given my very first cookbook as a gift, “Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Cookbook” which I still have it to this day. Seeing, as books do not age as well as humans, it has been stored away for safekeeping. This book started it all for me. Ever since the day, I received it; I have enjoyed the many pleasures of it and numerous other cookbooks. I tend to get some of my inspirations from food blogs and on-line recipe sites. While looking through a recipe blog I happened upon a miraculous dish that I will be sharing with you. I was looking for a good poached egg recipe, when I found the following… Salad Lyonnaise with Crispy Poached Egg. I love poached eggs and what I was searching for was a more complex Eggs Benedict/Florentine recipe. Now, I am allergic to eggs, but a melancholic tummy is no match for a contented mouth when it comes to a crispy English muffin, salty Canadian bacon, and fresh spinach, fully loaded with an ooey gooey centered poached egg and warm succulent hollandaise sauce especially when Benadryl is at hand! Mmm… I frequently take recipes I stumble upon and diverse them until they are my particular creation. Exploiting recipes, this usually precedes to dishes never being prepared the same way twice and makes it exceptionally arduous to share recipes with friends and family. I want to disclose to you one that I experimented with and found sinfully decadent. The specific salad recipe I found called for a leafy salad blend, and the majority of other recipes called for frisée lettuce alone, nonetheless you can utilize the lettuce or greens of your preference. I substituted my lettuce for a healthier and more beneficial use of plain baby spinach. The recipe I am sharing strays from the normal preparation of the dish which usually calls for a plain poached egg, but this one jacks it up a notch to blow your mind a little bit… A fried poached egg, I know what you are thinking; excuse me! Not only are you eating the exact opposite of what is hardwired in us about fried foods, eggs, and salad, but now you are telling me to fry an egg after it has already been prepared… WTF! This salad is not your normal light, refreshingly cool summer favorite anymore. Drop the hardboiled chef salad concept and dive into a comfort food you probably never knew about. Seeing, as most of us are not raised with someone preparing poached eggs on a regular basis, you might think it is a scary thing. If the contemplation of poaching an egg scares you, let me tell you even the foulest cook will nevertheless find the finished product edible, yummy, and that it is nowhere near a Byzantine process as perceived, to learn. I seasoned my flour with my homemade spice/herb/seasoning blend that I use in a majority of my dishes; dill weed, minced lemon peel, minced orange peel, garlic salt, cumin powder, paprika, white pepper, cilantro, cayenne pepper, rubbed sage, broken leaf oregano, onion powder, ground basil, and mustard powder. With this said I premix equal parts of each and store to use when needed, you can substitute your own personal favorites. I also replaced the chopped bacon for turkey bacon cooked on a broiler rack in the oven until they resembled a jerky texture, then chopped. The recipe did not call for croutons, but I also freshly baked a few to add for carb value, since I am diabetic. I used regular store bought thick sliced italian bread, which I removed the crust and cut into squares, buttered, added the same seasoning I used for my flour mixture, and baked until crisp. This dish is to die for, delish! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Salad Lyonnaise with Crispy Poached Egg



Chasity

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments, it gives me great pleasure being able to share with you and recieving my reader's feedback. I try to respond as soon as possible to all of my readers, but please do not get discouraged if it takes a day or two. At the moment, I am working on a weekly regular Blog posting idea (ex. "Not Me Monday" or "Thirsty Thursday"). If you have any proposals for ideas, I would be more than grateful to hear what my readers would enjoy. God bless and I hope you have a wonderful day!
Ciao,
The Girl Under the Silver Lining